The seventh Annual Meeting of the Members of The Logical Language Group, Inc. was called to order on August 20, 1995 at 10:38 AM EDT.
Non-members in attendance at the annual meeting were:
- Chris Bogart
Roll call was taken of the members.
Members attending (8) were:
- John Cowan
- John Hodges
- Nora LeChevalier
- Robert (Bob) LeChevalier
- Jorge Llambias
- Tommy Whitlock
- David Young
Members "present" (3) by proxy:
- John Clifford proxy to Bob LeChevalier
- Colin Fine proxy to Bob LeChevalier
- Sylvia Rutiser proxy to Nora LeChevalier
Members not in attendance (5) were:
- Guy Garnett
- Nick Nicholas
- Karen Stein
- David Twery
- Veijo Vilva
Note: Art Wieners, who was a member of the Group, passed away.
Notice of meeting by Secretary/Treasurer had not been given in advance of meeting date (per Article 3, Section 4 of the Bylaws). However, a quorum is present; so, by Article 3, Section 6 of the Bylaws, a meeting may be held.
Reading of the Minutes:
- MOVED: To waive reading of minutes. - PASSED. Report of officers - President:
The past year has been noteworthy for its lack of accomplishment. The net presence is continuing to go strong and grow, so the language is alive. But, we are behind in paying bills and filling orders
Report of officers - Treasurer: (reported by Bob LeChevalier).
- We are behind in our processing of finances
- We took in $1500, and had $300 in expenses (phone, mail permit, sales tax), but there are some unlogged transactions.
- All debts repaid
- At the end of last year, we had income of $2647 and expenses of $2085.
Report of Committees:
Committee for Proper Notice of Meetings: Nothing to report.
Committee on electronic distribution policy: nothing to report.
Committee for lojban newsgroup on net:
Tommy Whitlock reported no contact from others on committee. He thought it was a bad idea due to the unstructured nature or the net. We have a web page and mailing list server, so it's not necessary.
Bob LeChevalier had independently done some research which showed that, beyond some official steps that are needed, there would have to be a moderator with a robust connection (since all messages get sent to the moderator who then reports them to the list).
Rest of discussion deferred to old business.
Membership committee: Has not met.
Consideration of new members:
David Young withdraws his resignation (which was never officially noticed in the first place).
Election of Board of Directors:
- MOVED: That all existing members should be retained. - PASSED. Old/Unfinished Business:
Lojban newsgroup on net: Resumed discussion of reasons for and against.
Bob: Reasons for considering would be the highly technical content and volume of the current system; this would primarily be a convenience for those who don't want to be on the mail list.
John Cowan: a) volume; b) to collect new interest. A moderated newsgroup might answer Tommy's concerns.
- MOVED: That the report of the committee be filed (not adopted). - PASSED.
- MOVED: That all other ad hoc committees be discharged. - PASSED.
Status of books:
Dictionary was down-scoped to get it out quicker. It was to be 50% dictionary plus 50% lists and reference matter (like pronunciation). The result may be less marketable by itself. The list may come out to be: a level 1 introductory material, John Cowan's papers (AKA the reference grammar), the textbook, the dictionary, the stuff not put in the dictionary.
In addition, the order of publishing may change. The list did read:
- Reference Grammar; but, the Reference Grammar may come out first. Logflash header with free dictionaries:
- MOVED: That we get LogFlash out without waiting for the decisions on the free dictionaries for feedback. - PASSED.
Small discussion of electronic distribution policy.
Discussed some ideas presented by Athelstan:
Get Guy or Athelstan to come over about once a month to help Bob get going on business and projects.
When we get people to commit to projects, also get naggers.
A regular newsletter on committee updates - call it LK for continuity. Divide up "newsgroup" into technical, semantics, and the lojban learners and users (discussion on this point deferred to later).
Discussion on newsletter: Once a month too much; quarterly better. Mailing list out of date; need to update. Cowan agreed to get a prepare camera-ready copy of LK by December 1.
Discussion on dividing "newsgroups": Reference to similar split in Klingon community, causing estrangement. Maybe move arcane discussions elsewhere, leaving lojban list non-arcane. Cowan could discuss with Columbia about a separate list. We'd want to have some one post status to the other list on an infrequent basis. We'd also want something so people can receive LK but not list traffic (therefore, a third list), and mention it in the brochure.
Revise (not rewrite) brochure with additional page to request E-mail address.
Discussion: Current brochure asks for computer address. But, need better explanation of where to get info electronically. The FTP site not organized. John Cowan prefers we be off the FTP site for reasons of security and data storage; he suggested HTTP (WWW protocol). Jorge (initially) plans to see about better organizing the FTP site data.
If we put out ads, we should request money - maybe $5.
- MOVED: That any ads should ask for some amount of money. - PASSED. Discussion: Fact Sheet 5 already has the suggested price, but most ignore. Not currently planning to advertise.
- MOVED: That LLG commend Veijo Vilva for his sterling work in creating a WWW (World-Wide Web) server for LLG. - PASSED.
- MOVED: To adjourn meeting. - PASSED.
The seventh Annual Meeting of the Members of The Logical Language Group, Inc. was adjourned at approximately 1:05 PM EDT.
I certify that the above motions were presented to all members present for discussion and approval, and that all motions were approved as noted. I further certify that these minutes are an accurate representation of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Members of The Logical Language Group, Inc.