Relevant prior discussions
- Summary: re'u is semantically related to the ZAhO series, in that it specifies a phase of the event. (This discussion is suggestive of calling re'u an aspect, and not a tense.)
- re'u (Lojban wiki page)
- Summary: za'u re'u means "not for the first time", so it could be used for some senses of "again".
- Summary: ROI is a sumti tcita, too. The sumti specifies which time interval the repetitions occur.
Proposed Definitions And Examples
Proposed Definition of re'u
- re'u (ROI)
- Ordinal tense. Converts a number to an objectively quantified ordinal tense interval modifier, indicating that the event takes place for the n-th time. When tagging a sumti, the sumti specifies the interval in which the repetitions occur.
- Keywords: for the nth time.
Examples of re'u Usage
.i ro da poi se mrilu fu le mriciste zo'u mi pa po'o re'u te benji da
I receive each message through the mailing system only once.
.i mi re re'u troci lo nu co'a sipna
For the second time, I try to fall asleep.
Proposed Definition of roi
- roi (ROI)
- Quantified tense. Converts a number to an objectively quantified tense interval modifier, indicating that the event takes place n times. When tagging a sumti, the sumti specifies the interval in which the repetitions occur.
- Keywords: times. n times.
Examples of roi Usage
curmi le nu pilno le su'ore dacti paroi le jufra
It allows using multiple objects once per sentence.
mi so'iroi citka lo xarju
I eat pork many times.
By convention, tagged sumti without quantification (the new definition of lo dispenses with the notion of implicit quantification) are taken to refer to single instances. E.g. mu roi lo cacra is taken to mean "five times per hour".
The meaning of tagged sumti with ROI, previously undescribed, has been explicitly laid out.