Short form for constructed language, human languages which are not natural languages. Sometimes divided into three groups:
- artlangs, those devised for artistic purposes — either per se, or for use in fiction.
- Tolkien languages, which have given us tengwar
- Really for artistic purposes? Its purpose seems to have been IAL, the "esthetic" side — the musical version — was partly practical (tone carries farther than words and is easier to pick out in a noisy environment) and partly either a bad joke or a misunderstanding of the claim that music is the universal language (which is clearly false even when rightly understood). pc
- loglangs, more recently called engelangs (Engineered languages), those devised according to some sort of objective principles; Lojban language is one of these.
- auxlangs, those devised principally as IALs
- a posteriori
- a priori
These categories are of course overlapping.